Unable to mount VirtualBox shared folders
The following error message can appear when you start the development VM using vagrant.
Vagrant was unable to mount VirtualBox shared folders. This is usually because the filesystem "vboxsf" is not available. This filesystem is made available via the VirtualBox Guest Additions and kernel module. Please verify that these guest additions are properly installed in the guest. This is not a bug in Vagrant and is usually caused by a faulty Vagrant box. For context, the command attempted was: mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 vagrant /vagrant The error output from the command was: : No such device
This is often proceeded by a message that gives more information about the guest additions.
==> default: Checking for guest additions in VM... default: The guest additions on this VM do not match the installed version of default: VirtualBox! In most cases this is fine, but in rare cases it can default: prevent things such as shared folders from working properly. If you see default: shared folder errors, please make sure the guest additions within the default: virtual machine match the version of VirtualBox you have installed on default: your host and reload your VM. default: default: Guest Additions Version: 4.3.20 default: VirtualBox Version: 5.1
The “guest additions” are a set of Linux modules that are used inside the devleopment-vm. It is difficult to change the version of these modules, so the easiest workaround may be to install a different version of VirtualBox, specifically one which best matches the version of the guest additions given in the above error message.
More about Development VM
- Can't connect to Mongo in VM
- Content store times out in VM
- Fix issues with installing Ruby gems using Bundler
- Fix issues with vagrant-dns
- Fix low disk space in development
- Fix NFS errors in VM
- Not enough RAM for the VM
- Problems provisioning and fetching packages in VM
- Replicate application data locally for development
- Run an application in the VM
- Send a test email via Notify
- SSH into GOV.UK servers from the VM
- SSH into your VM directly
- Using `bowl` fails with bundler error