Warning This document has not been updated for a while now. It may be out of date.Last updated: 5 Apr 2022
Publish to Puppet Forge
Logging in to the Forge
Credentials for the GDS Operations account can be found in
in the 2ndline password store.
The URL for our account is http://forge.puppetlabs.com/gdsoperations.
Checks before releasing a new or updated module
- Ensure that all tests pass and that the project conforms to our Open Source Guidelines.
- Choose a new version number in accordance with Semantic Versioning.
- Add a new release entry to the
- Update the
metadata.json. If this file is not present, but
Modulefileis, address this before progressing with the release.
- Create a pull request with these changes.
Releasing a new or updated module
Via the Forge website
- Build the new version with
bundle exec puppet module build
- Click Publish
- Submit the tarball you just built from the
If you get the “this action has been replaced by Puppet Development Kit” error, run these commands instead:
$ brew install puppetlabs/puppet/pdk $ pdk build
Via the command line
The web UI is the preferred method, but it is also possible to use the puppet-blacksmith gem to push from the command line.
If publishing to the Forge was successful, create a tag on the repository:
- Tag the release prefixed with a
git tag v0.1.2. Ensure you tag the merge commit, not the branch commit.
- Push the commit and tag to the repo:
git push --tags origin master.