Last updated: 12 Jan 2022
Switch an app off temporarily
In the event of a security incident an app may need to be switched off until it can be patched.
Before you begin you will need to identify:
- which machine class the application runs on
- how many machines of that class there are
- SSH into the first machine:
gds govuk connect -e production ssh <machine_class>:<box_number>
- Disable puppet on the machine to prevent it automatically restarting the app (provide a better reason if you can):
sudo govuk_puppet --test --disable "Disabling puppet to prevent app restarting (by $USER)"
- Stop the application service on the relevant machine
sudo <app_name> stop
- Repeat for other machines in the class until all have been disabled.