Before rolling out a release of Static to production, you must:
- Deploy the Static release to staging.
- Check that the deployment succeeded, for example by checking the last synced time in Argo CD).
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Check that the next Smokey run passes in staging. Ignore any Smokey run that started less than 5 minutes after the Static rollout, because it may have received responses cached before the rollout.
- Double-check that the homepage looks OK and click around a couple of pages on the site.
Releases of Static are not automatically promoted to the staging and production environments. This is because:
- the smoke tests do not currently take into account the caching of Static’s responses by the frontend apps
- Static does not yet have sufficient test coverage
Why 10 minutes? Slimmer caches Static’s responses for up to 1 minute by default.
Argo CD polls GitHub for changes every 3 minutes. The rollout itself (within
Kubernetes) typically takes another minute. The HTTP
for most pages is 5 minutes. The smoke tests defeat the edge cache where
appropriate, so the last 5 minutes really only matters for manual testing.