Architecture of data.gov.uk
data.gov.uk platform is used to publish and view datasets. A dataset is a document about a collection of links to documentation or data hosted somewhere on the Internet. The platform has the following services.
- CKAN is the legacy publishing and finder app for datasets (‘packages’). It also runs Nginx to support Find.
- Find is the public frontend for searching datasets using Elasticsearch. It replaces CKAN for certain routes.
- Publish is the prototype publishing app for datasets. It currently syncs with CKAN to populate Elasitcsearch.
- Statistics is owned by the Office for National Statistics and was established as part of the Open Data Policy.
- Environment is owned by DEFRA and was created with the Location service as part of the Open Data Policy.
- Land Registry is owned by the same and was created to publish linked data as part of the Open Data Policy.
- Catalog Service for the Web is owned by Ordnance Survey and serves INSPIRE datasets to the EU Geoportal.
- Location Metadata Editor is owned by DEFRA and publishes INSPIRE metadata, which is used to enrich datasets.
- Location came before Location Metadata Editor and was established as part of the UK Location Programme.
- Guidance is a set of manual pages hosted in GitHub, which ought to be migrated into normal GOV.UK docs.
- Contract Finder is now provided by Crown Commercial Service, which ought to have pre-2015 stuff merged in.
- Reference is a legacy service that attempts to provide a nomenclature of time intervals, hosted on Heroku.
- Business is a legacy redirect to Companies House.
cf apps cf services cf routes cf env publish-data-beta-production