Architecture of data.gov.uk
data.gov.uk (DGU) platform is used to publish and view datasets. A dataset is a document about a collection of links to documentation or data hosted somewhere on the Internet.
Architectural overview of data.gov.uk
The original for this diagram is available on the Platform Health Google Drive and can be edited with draw.io.
Services owned by data.gov.uk
- CKAN is the legacy publishing and finder app for datasets (‘packages’). It also runs Nginx to support Find.
- Find is the public frontend for searching datasets using Elasticsearch. It replaces CKAN for certain routes.
- Publish is the prototype publishing app for datasets. It currently syncs with CKAN to populate Elasticsearch.
- Reference is a legacy service that attempts to provide a nomenclature of time intervals, hosted on Heroku.
Services with data.gov.uk sub-domains, but owned by other departments
- Statistics is owned by the Office for National Statistics and was established as part of the Open Data Policy.
- Environment is owned by DEFRA and was created with the Location service as part of the Open Data Policy.
- Land Registry is owned by the same and was created to publish linked data as part of the Open Data Policy.
- Catalog Service for the Web is owned by Ordnance Survey and serves INSPIRE datasets to the EU Geoportal.
- Location Metadata Editor is owned by DEFRA and publishes INSPIRE metadata, which is used to enrich datasets.
- Location came before Location Metadata Editor and was established as part of the UK Location Programme.
- Guidance is a set of manual pages hosted in GitHub, which ought to be migrated into normal GOV.UK docs.
- Contract Finder is now provided by Crown Commercial Service, which ought to have pre-2015 stuff merged in.
- Business is a legacy redirect to Companies House.
Several datasets link to environment.data.gov.uk and require user login to access. Although branded as data.gov.uk, this is a totally separate service. If a user is having difficulty accessing this system, they should contact the maintainers of this resource, who are currently Airbus Defence & Space.
cf apps cf services cf routes cf env publish-data-beta-production