Rules for getting production access
These rules apply to developers in the GOV.UK programme and SREs in the TechOps programme.
What production access means
- Permission to read & write production and staging hieradata in govuk-secrets using GPG
- Permission to read & write from the Pass in govuk-secrets store using GPG
- Access to Production Deploy Jenkins and Staging Deploy Jenkins to deploy applications via the GOV.UK Production GitHub team
- SSH access to production and staging servers via govuk-puppet
- AWS PowerUser Access via the
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) access with
Storage Adminrole to manage static mirrors
- Signon “Super Admin” access in production
- GOV.UK PaaS Space developer access to all spaces in the govuk_development organisation
When you get production access
- Temporary supervised access during two 2nd line shadow shifts (GOV.UK developers only)
- Supervised access after second shadow shift and probation has been passed (probation condition does not apply to SREs in TechOps)
- Permanent access once a non-shadow 2nd line shift has been completed
The above is caveated by a minimum of SC (yellow building pass) security clearance, or an application in-process for a suitable level of clearance. This in line with GDS’ general policy that all staff have SC clearance.
“Supervised” means “we trust you, but just be extra careful,” and the dev should ensure they’re getting necessary and appropriate support from their team and tech lead during this time. The tech lead of the mission team is responsible for the supervision, whether it’s by them or the team.
What is temporary supervised production access?
Access to production may be granted to GDS civil servants or contractors who don’t meet the criteria above for a time limited period. In these cases, we require:
- A minimum of BPSS (a blue building pass) security clearance
- Approval from a Lead Developer or the Head of Technology
- Access to be removed at the end of the time limited period
- Supervision to be given by a production cleared person during access
- Agreement from the person that they will only use their access while supervised. We trust our staff to be sensible and operate within these rules.
Temporarily revoking access
If you’re absent more than 6 weeks, your access will be revoked.